Monday, January 14, 2013

Photo to canvas transfer made easy

I've been ooing and aahing over photo canvas prints & I knew that they would make the perfect gift for any occasion.
I tried looking up tutorials online on how to transfer photos to canvas, but it was hard for me to find some of the materials & the effect was more of a faded/rusted look and I was going for more of a printed look.
I had recently discovered the joys of mod podge while making these Star Wars necklaces & decided to give mod podging it a try.
I made this set as a Christmas gift for two of my good friends :)

Here's how I did it:
What you need:
  • Canvas - I found this itty bitty canvas with a cute easel on sale, it came out to around P50 at National Bookstore
  • White wrapping Tissue
  • Mod Podge - I used gloss finish.
  • Printer


Cut your white Tissue to size, it should be smooth to print on easily. If need be - take a few extra minutes to iron it smooth.
Leave space for a border.

Tape your tissue to a piece of printer paper, make sure to tape it all the way across where the paper feeds into the printer. 
This way it feeds through smooth & you don't get a terrible paper jam.
It should come out looking like this:

Carefully cut your photo out.
Be very gentle since the tissue will rip easily - I ended up needing to print my photo twice because I wasn't gentle enough the first time :(

Apply a layer of mod podge onto the canvas.
Carefully place your photo on top & let it dry for a few minutes.
Apply another layer of mod podge on top.

It might be a little wrinkly, but I ended up really liking the way it turned out & so did they!
It was a great gift!
I can't wait to make a few for myself :]

Hope everyone is doing well this Monday :)
Happy Crafting <3

2 comments:

  1. This is a great idea, but does it really work with my laserjet printer? I imagine the tissue will get wrapped up or ripped up easily :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lily!
      If you're not sure that the tissue will survive & may ruin your laserjet - then I imagine it's better to be safe than sorry :/
      my printer is just your average run of the mill HP

      But I googled printing onto tissue using a laser printer & found these tutorials for you if you'd still like to try :)
      I hope it helps! Let me know how it gets on if you try :3

      1. http://fullofgreatideas.blogspot.com/2011/06/printing-on-tissue-paper-have-you-tried.html

      2. http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-unique-tile-picture-for-less-than-3/step4/Printing-your-photo-on-tissue-paper/

      3. http://taraleaver.com/2012/01/the-top-secret-tissue-paper-trick/

      Delete